Gluten Free Picture

Gluten Free Picture
I Blog Gluten Free

Saturday, July 3, 2010

Turtle bites

I have a picnic to attend tomorrow. It is going to be hot, humid and gluten-filled. I was asked to bring a side dish, but as I'm brain-dead right now, I could only think of two - pasta salad (which I can't eat) and baked beans (which someone else *always* brings. So I went the easy route... chips and salsa, and a brand-new recipe.

Now, I have to admit it starts with a Betty Crocker mix. And is stolen from their website, with a couple of very small changes. But still, it is my first effort, and from the appearance of the pan in the oven, it might just work out fine.

Preheat the oven as directed on the package.

I started off with a gluten-free brownie mix. Added the two eggs and the 1/2 stick of melted butter (and boy are they right when they say it will be thick!)

I used an 8x8 throw-away pan, as I'm taking them to a picnic, but I think they might do well in a small springform pan as well since the batter is so thick.

Sprayed the bottom of the pan with non-stick spray, and spread about half of the batter into the bottom of the pan. I put the pan into the oven for 10 minutes, during which time I:
1) unwrapped 20 Kraft Caramels
2) put them into the same container I melted the butter in
3) added about 1 1/2 tablespoons of nonfat evaporated milk and
4) melted it all in the microwave (it took about a minute and a half, stirring often.)

I added about a cup and a quarter of chopped pecans to the caramel and mixed them together, then poured the mixture over the layer of brownie in the pan. Spread it out all over the brownie, and then put the remainder of the batter on top. I managed to cover most of the caramel mixture with the brownie batter, but I think it might look nice if you were to just drop dabs over parts of the pan and let the caramel show more.

Baked again for ten minutes and then turned off the oven and left the bars in the oven while it cooled so they wouldn't overbake. (I hate dry brownies)

I'm going to take them out now (about ten minutes after I turned off the oven.) We'll see tomorrow how they turned out!

No comments:

Post a Comment