Gluten Free Picture

Gluten Free Picture
I Blog Gluten Free

Saturday, September 24, 2011

Make new friends, but keep the old...

"Ran" into an old friend this week. Haven't heard hide nor hair of him in ages and ages. Good to know he's still kicking. Starting to think of fall and winter dishes... looking forward to another Thanksgiving with my sister's family, none of whom are willing to change (in any way) anything they have for the holidays. I'm considering getting myself a roaster, and making my own version of "turkey" and stuffing and just taking it down with me. I've made stuffing from scratch for decades, and I figure it can't be too terribly much harder using Udi's bread than using regular bread. Got to add a bunch more liquid, as the gluten free baked goods just don't seem to want to get soft, no matter what you do with them. Other than that, sauteed onions, mushrooms, celery. A bit of Better than Boullion (chicken flavor), and some stock. Yeah, I think that rather than standing there not eating this year, I'll go ahead and bring my own. I know my sister will be disappointed, but I'm not looking forward to another holiday dinner spent avoiding everything I like. Anyway... happy weekend!

1 comment:

  1. Ellen - I think making your own thank giving meal sound great; as long as you aren't resentful at your sister for it. If your willing to put in the effort; go for it!

    Going gluten free is horrible. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy, I don't think others including family can truly understand how divesting it is for a person to loose one of the basic food groups from their diet.

    I know how it feels to want to eat but don't because it just make you sick. It's like you fell loss don't eat but if you do indulge in the thanksgiving meal you feel loss because you ate stuff normal people can eat with no problem but our bodies just get sick. It's not fair but god willing there will be better days and better meals ahead. Maybe someday someone will be able to reverse the effects of celiacs.

    ReplyDelete