Gluten Free Picture

Gluten Free Picture
I Blog Gluten Free

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Back from California - none the worse for wear.

Had a great time getting my daughter set up in her first apartment at college this past week. We wound up eating out a lot, and I found a couple of places that were great... and one that was really just not so hot.

The Elephant Bar doesn't have a gluten free menu. But the manager came over to our table, went over all the offerings with me, discussed the different sauces and the ones that are made in-house versus the ones they get from a supplier, and arranged for me to have a wonderful meal. He even took my order over to our waiter himself, to make sure I would get exactly what I needed. Great guy. Great food.

Chevy's? Not so much. Enchiladas are normally pretty safe, but they couldn't even tell me what the chicken was marinated in or seasoned with. I'm thinking Chili's next time we go out with that particular set of friends.

Still, I found something wonderful out there - Guerrero's corn tortillas. Not refrigerated, very mild in flavor, and flexible when cold. Did you hear me? I said when *cold*!! Evidently they are made by the Mission people, but they couldn't taste different from the regular Mission corn tortillas if they tried. Great for sandwiches - I took two avocado and turkey sandwiches on the plane home with me. (And they were yummy!!)

All in all, a good gf trip. The San Francisco Bay area has a ton of gf options, and I'm looking forward to trying some more of them when I go back to visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment